Monday, September 20, 2004

Farewells

Dad and Amah left today :( This is one of the last photos i took with them.


Saying goodbye was harder than i thought it would be. Dad and amah have been here for 7 days (i think) and i don't think i really appreciated their company until just now when i realised that they're not going to be with me for the next 5 months. Thanks Dad and Amah so much for all the help, it's really made the transition to life here in Japan so much easier for me. I think i'd be floundering a lot more if it wasn't for all the little things that you reminded me to get and do. (forks, spoons, bowls, plates... the list goes on).

This morning I was actually meant to go to the hotel for lunch, but instead i ended up waiting here at Plume IS for dad and amah to make their way here. We were meant to go get a rice cooker - but i forgot that today is a public holiday here in Japland (old people's day or something i think), so the local electrical store was closed. We settled for some lunch (obento boxes) which we brought back to eat in my room instead. Was quite nice n tasty - i think i'll be frequenting that place quite often in the next few months - it's nice and easy to eat, tastes good and it's cheap too!

Had a little bit of spare time before our activities in the afternoon so dad and I took a walk to the Hiyoshi campus (which is where all the younger students go). It was quite impressive - it's sort of built on this hill so when you look up at it from the road it looks HUUGE. I forgot to take my camera but i promise i'll take a shot from there and show you all what i mean. Couldn't find the badminton hall unfortunately ... i did walk into the gymnasium and some dude wearing white karate clothes came running out to greet me... i had a bit of fun trying to explain that i didn't speak proper japanese and that i wanted to play badminton. Actions ended up being more effective than words in the end lol.

The highlight of the day was the cruise we went on around Tokyo bay tonight. The meal was beautifully presented (as they always are here) and the view was quite spectacular over from the ferry. The photo at the top of this post is of us at the table (thank you mr waiter man who offered to take a photo for us ...). Most of my other photos have only 2 ppl and since my grandma doesn't know how to use the camera, i don't have ne others with dad :(( (except for one self-timer shot which was ok i suppose)...

This is a shot of Tokyo Bay Bridge from the water:




After dinner we went back to the station and said goodbye at Shinagawa Eki (i have to change lines there to get bak to Plume IS). I was feeling quite sad and lonely on the way back. But by the time i started walking to my apartment i suppose i'd put things back into perspective again and i was feeling a lot better... As my dad's been saying - my time here is not really that long (it's going to take me at least a month to really get used to life here, and i'm only here for 5 months altogether at the moment) ... So i'm going to make the most of it. I hope. Anyway, (relatively) short post today. I'm going to try to get a phone 2morrow. Again. I will update you all with how i go with that when the time comes...!


1 comment:

hwangus said...

WOw what lovely photos
specially the one @ the restaurant..
You guys all look so happy