Last night's match against Italy sums up the story of Australia's World Cup.
Along with most other Aussies I was again extremely disappointed with last night's effort. And by that I'm not talking about the players' efforts; both teams played an extremely good game of football. I mean the refereeing.
But I suppose I should have seen it coming...
When you have a referee who looks like this when he gives out unjustified red cards:
...and keeps on looking like that for quite some time...
it shouldn't really be a surprise that he'd make a similarly stupid decision against Australia later on.
The match last night taught me a few things though. So I've decided to share my new knowledge with my very own step-by-step guide on How to Win a Penalty
1. Make sure you keep your mouth wide open at all times as if you are in constant pain (see below pictures for details).
2. Find a defender on the ground in front of you, like this:
3. Purposely run into the defender's back and wave your arms about a bit, like this:
4. Jump as far forward as you can (remember to keep your mouth open), like this:
5. Lie on the pitch with your legs up and stare at the ball (remember to keep your mouth open!), like this:
6. Laugh into the ground with your head down until the referee comes along and gives you your hard-earned penalty:
Final result: Italy - 1 Australia - 0. Bullshit.
The beautiful game isn't beautiful when there are mistakes like this made all the time. I vote for video referees at the next World Cup...