Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Singapore, Japan and Korea: the beginning

So after deliberating about whether I would send lots of emails to a bunch of people to let them know how my travels around Asia are going, I've decided that I would make use of this blog for the next few weeks. Yes that's right, I will actually try to update this a bit more regularly for at least a little while.

The one bit of breaking news to share is that I got to Tokyo this morning just in time for an earthquake. As usual I didn't realise it was an earthquake until it was almost over. But looking back I think I should count myself lucky. I was actually half way up a fairly long escalator when it struck, and I thought it was the escalator having mechanical problems when it started shaking and making odd noises. At least, until the earthquake siren in Narita airport went off and started telling everybody not to panic. Needless to say, that sort of announcement does exactly the opposite when you are the one person on the escalator that connects level 1 to level 3. Thankfully the quake did not last long and I don't think anybody suffered any injuries - including me - although I think it stopped a few trains for a little while which caused a bit of confusion.

And finally, what better way to end my inaugural post of the year than with a bunch of pictures of food (which is how I end a lot of my posts now that I think about it):

This was meant to be a photo of some really nice chicken rice I had in Singapore with Rach. It was unfortunately so nice that I forgot all about taking a photo, so you'll have to be happy with a picture of the sauces instead.


These are deep fried battered mushrooms with tartare sauce. This should have been a photo of some super spicy chicken wings (also in Singapore). But once again I sort of forgot about the photo once the main course came out.


And after my little earthquake encounter, I had a nice chilled out morning sitting around Narita airport (Japan) with three unlikely companions: a grapefruit juice, a book and a writing pad.


Korean BBQ. In Korea! And yes, it was really good too.


Hmm reading through what I just wrote, I can see this getting pretty boring pretty quickly if I don't get some non-food photos in. Will try for my next post :)

But on that note I think it is about time for me to sleep. Or maybe go find a bar to have a drink. Ah, the dilemmas you face on a holiday.

No comments: